SwitchEasy Nude iPad Case by David Tran

In my opinion, the ideal iPad case is a something that protects the iPad without killing its aesthetics. It’s no secret that Apple products are known for their sleek industrial design: smooth glass surfaces, laser cut aluminum casings, and an absence of buttons. The drawback? Apple is great at making shiny, little fingerprint-magnets that are easily scuffed, scratched, and dropped.

After searching high and low for just the right case, I went with the SwitchEasy “Nude” for two reasons:
First, I like its minimalist aesthetic. The Nude is a 1mm thin, clear polycarbonate case that wraps around the aluminum casing of the iPad. It does an excellent job of protecting my device without adding unnecessary bulk. Because it’s translucent, the design elements of the device are displayed, but protected, including the screen and port openings.

Secondly, being a frugal graduate student, I felt it was the best bang for the buck I could find. For $30 (online + shipping) you get: the case, an anti-static screen protector (not pictured), two folding stands in black and white, and two sets of port covers for the sync port and the headphone jack. The only things not completely covered by the design are the hold switch on top, and the mute/volume switches on the side. At $10-15 cheaper than its competitors, and with more protection, it’s a solid deal.I am happy with my purchase. I keep one stand in my bag and the other on my desk at home, the screen protector fits well and has no bubbles, and the port covers do their job by staying in place. The polycarbonate case adds a bit of grip to the back of the device so I feel comfortable taking it in and out of my bag without dropping it.

While I generally like this case, there are a few drawbacks. The polycarbonate is easily scratched. My case has a lot of small scratches from being set down over the last few months. Luckily, the case is shiny and translucent, so the scratches barely noticeable. I figured this is why I use a case in the first place: so the device itself doesn’t get scratched.

While the case does a good job of protecting the iPad during use, you’re still going to want a sleeve to carry it around in. While the anti-static screen guard protects against scratches, it does not protect against impact. I can’t knock the case design on this one though; this is a problem with all non-wallet style cases.

Lastly, the viewing stand is useful, but definitely limited to watching movies or giving presentations. It is not adjustable and holds the iPad too upright to take notes on. They’re also not terribly durable, considering I’ve already broken one. I suppose that’s why they give you two.

Despite a few minor flaws, I would highly recommend this product to anyone looking for a case with a small footprint. The $30 price tag ($25 at the UCI Computer Store) easily makes this the best value in its price range. I have yet to see other companies offer as many accessories, especially a screen protector, in this price range.

http://switcheasy.com/products/NUDE_iPad/NUDE_iPad.php#